The Best Mattress
Protectors in Australia
You’ve invested in a great bed and the perfect mattress. Now it’s time to protect that investment. A quality mattress protector is the best accessory you can add to your bed.
A mattress protector is more important than most people think. Mattress protectors are the first line of defence against anything that might harm your mattress. A good mattress protector can extend the life of your mattress.
A good one will not only protect your mattress from spills and other accidents but also shield it from allergens, mould and dust mites. It also can prevent the mattress from soaking up sweat and body oils while reflecting your body heat to keep you cool during the night. A cushioned mattress protector will supplement the comfort of your mattress.
Quality mattress protectors stand up well to washing machines. You can clean them as easily as a top sheet. Best of all, they won’t shrink or deteriorate in the dryer.
Some people confuse mattress protectors with mattress toppers and mattress pads. These all serve different purposes.
Mattress toppers are thick layers of latex, memory foam or quilted material that supplement the mattress’s comfort. Mattress pads are made of thin, quilted material to cover only the surface of your mattress and protect it from liquids. Mattress protectors also are thin but offer more protection than pads since they cover the entire bed from a wide range of threats.
The Top 10 Best Mattress Protectors Available in Australia
- Tempur-Fit Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector Overall
- Emma Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Luxury
- Ergoflex Life Tundra Mattress Protector—Best Mattress Protector for Cooling
- Red Nomad Mattress Protector— Best Mattress Protector to Defend Against Allergens
- Nectar Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Breathability
- Onebed Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Memory Foam Mattresses
- Noa Mattress Protect—Best Mattress Protector for the Environment
- Florica Waterproof Mattress Protector—Best Mattress Protector for Liquid Spills
- Purple Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Durability
- The Little Green Sheep Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector—Best Mattress Protector for Cribs
1. Tempur-Fit Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector Overall
The Tempur-Fit Mattress Protector is our choice of the best overall mattress protector available in Australia. It has all the qualities you should look for in a quality mattress protector. The Tempur Fit Mattress Protector is water-resistant, highly breathable, hypoallergenic and durable.
The Tempur-Fit Mattress Protector is made of a patented fabric known as ThermalSense that is very stretchable. This makes it easy to adapt to any mattress’s dimensions. It has deep sides and is highly flexible to accommodate many mattress depths. Although designed to fit Tempur mattresses perfectly, it fits most mattresses.
Tempur-Fit is made from Tencel, an eco-friendly fabric made of wood pulp. Tempur-Fit blends Tencel with cotton, which makes the fabric wrinkle-proof, ultra-soft, and feel like silk. The mattress protector contains a polyurethane laminate membrane to protect your mattress from spills and other accidents.
Unlike some other waterproof mattress protectors, Tempur-Fit doesn’t feel like plastic or sound like crinkly material when you roll over it. The thin cover stays quiet as it keeps you cool.
The fabric is so comfortable that you can sleep directly on top of it. It’s highly durable, easy to clean, and resistant to most allergens.
The protector has a zipper-encased closure style. Tempur-Fit backs up the quality of the mattress protector with a 3-year warranty. It is available in the following sizes: Small single, single, double, king, and super king.
2. Emma Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Luxury
The Emma Mattress Protector is the premium mattress maker’s best product and is our choice for the best luxury mattress protector. This will cost you more than other protectors, but its quality and extraordinary defence against allergens make it worth the cost.
Emma uses a patented, innovative polyester material designed to make this high-end protector light, breathable, and incredibly soft. The special fibres provide 89% more protection against dust mites and allergens than most other options.
The protector is 100% probiotic, meaning that it contains healthy microorganisms that prevent allergens and dampness. It’s waterproof and highly durable.
Emma offers an extraordinary 10-year warranty for its mattress protector. The company also gives customers a 100-night trial.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. The protector is designed to fit the Emma Mattress perfectly—one of our top mattress picks for Australians—but it also fits most mattresses. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, small double, double, king, and super king.
3. Ergoflex Life Tundra Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Cooling
Top-quality mattress manufacturer Ergo also makes a superior mattress protector that’s our pick as the best to provide you with a cool sleep. The Ergoflex Life Tundra Mattress Protector enhances sleep by delivering thermoregulation through its innovative design. Ergoflex differentiates itself from the competition by using nanotechnology during production. Their engineering team studies the science of creating materials at a microscopic scale when designing mattress protectors.
Body temperature dips as you enter a state of sleep. If your mattress protector reflects heat, it can cause you to toss and turn. The Ergoflex Life Tundra Mattress Protector is made with proprietary Phase Change Materials (PCM), absorbs heat, and disperses it away from your body. The protector consistently maintains a temperature of 28 — an optimal sleep temperature — and prevents sweat from ruining your sheets.
Ergoflex technology doesn’t sacrifice comfort. It’s created with silky soft Tencel fabric and is exceptionally breathable. It is hypoallergenic and offers 100% waterproof protection. It’s an excellent protector for memory foam mattresses can retain heat.
The Ergoflex Life Tundra Mattress Protector is eco-friendly. It’s been certified by OEKO-TEX as 100 Standard, the highest standard for environmental sustainability. The certification means it’s safe for children and people with sensitive skin.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. Although the protector is designed to complement Ergoflex mattresses perfectly — one of our top mattress picks for Australians — the protector fits most mattresses. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, long single, king single, double, queen and king.
4. Red Nomad Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector to Defend Against Allergens
The Red Nomad Mattress Protector is made of eco-friendly bamboo, which creates a remarkably soft fabric. This waterproof protector is both moisture absorbent and breathable. One of the biggest benefits of a bamboo mattress protector is that the fabric is the best on the market for eliminating allergens.
The Red Nomad Mattress Protector provides a remarkable defence against dust mites, allergens and bed bugs. The Red Nomad completely encases your mattress, including the bottom of the mattress.
Bamboo may seem like an odd material for a mattress protector, but the hard plant is processed into textile fibres to make one of the silkiest materials available. It also has natural cooling and temperature regulating properties that help you achieve a sweat-free sleep. Red Nomad mattress covers are so ultra-soft that they produce no noise when you roll on them.
The protector is certified as an environmentally sustainable product by OEKO-TEX, and is free of phthalates, PVC, or fire-retardant chemicals. It has a zipper-encased closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Twin, twin XL, full, queen and king.
5. Nectar Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Breathability
The Nectar Mattress Protector is made from natural fibres that improve circulation, and it is our top pick for breathability. A mattress with superior airflow offers both allergen protection and helps keep you cool while you sleep.
This stain-resistant protector has a soft quilted top layer for extra mattress comfort. The added padding feels silky smooth and makes the cover noiseless under your sheets.
The Nectar Mattress Protector is super stretchy and can cover beds that are 22 inches deep. Unlike many other mattress protectors, Nectar is designed not to slip or slide under your mattress. It fits snugly over your mattress and won’t get loose after only a few months.
The Nectar Mattress Protector offers superior temperature regulation. It’s a 100% waterproof and stain-resistant protector with a moisture-wicking Tencel cover to keep you cool while you sleep. Nectar offers a 50-night sleep trial and a 5-year warranty.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, small double, double, king and super king.
6. Onebed Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Memory Foam Mattresses
Onebed produces one of the best mattresses in Australia and also makes a high-quality mattress protector. The Onebed Mattress Protector is designed to fit Onebed mattresses perfectly but is a top choice for any memory foam mattress. They allow your body to be fully supported by the memory foam beneath the protector.
The Onebed Mattress Protector is made of ultra-soft 100% cotton percale, with a soft quilted cover. The fabric is designed to prevent clumping and uneven stretching. It’s highly breathable with cotton fill that helps keep you cool while you sleep.
The Onebed Mattress Protector is created with antibacterial textile fibres that eliminate bacteria and suppress allergens. According to the manufacturer, not even a grain of sand can get past the Onebed mattress protector, making it highly resistant to dust mites and pests.
It is 100% waterproof and protects your mattress from sweat, spills, and other accidents. Onebed mattress protector is so durable that the company backs up the quality of the product with a 5-year warranty,
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, king single, double, queen and king.
7. Noa Mattress Protector—Best Mattress Protector for the Environment
Luxury mattress maker Noa—one of our choices as the best mattress for Australians— also makes an environmentally friendly mattress protector. The Noa Mattress Protector is made of the soft, eco-friendly material Tencel with a 100% cotton skirt and a polyurethane lining to make it waterproof. It’s manufactured in Portugal by the country’s oldest family-owned textile company.
The Noa Mattress Protector is environmentally sustainable. OEKO-TEX has certified it as Standard 100, the best eco-quality standard worldwide. To receive this certification, Noa undergoes regular auditing to ensure it uses only textiles and safe chemicals and dyes. Standard 100 certifies that the Noa Mattress Protector is safe enough for babies and children, as well as people with sensitive skin.
This mattress protector has natural, antibacterial properties and is hypoallergenic. It’s extremely durable and designed for easy cleaning and care. Although it’s designed to fit Nao mattresses perfectly, this mattress protector will fit most mattresses.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, king single, double, queen and king.
8. Florica Waterproof Mattress Protector—Best Mattress Protector for Liquid Spills
The Florica Waterproof Mattress Protector is our choice for the best waterproof mattress protector. Unlike many waterproof protectors, Florica doesn’t trap heat. Instead, it provides exceptional breathability that keeps you cool and dry while sleeping.
The Florica Waterproof Mattress Protector is made of soft cotton terry protected with a 100% waterproof membrane. The terry naturally wicks moisture and doesn’t make noise as you roll on top of it. The mattress protector provides a hypoallergenic barrier between you and your mattress.
Unlike some other options, the Florida Protector only gets softer with each wash. As long as you follow the care instruction, drying should not shrink it either.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, king single, double, queen, and king. It’s manufactured to be lightweight, waterproof, and breathable.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Single, double, queen and king.
9. Purple Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Durability
Mattress maker Purple produces a highly durable mattress protector that they call “Sasquatch-proof.” According to the Purple, these mythical beasts can’t destroy the mattress protector, and neither can you. This mattress protector contains double layers on its top and sides for extra protection, making it our pick for the most durable mattress protector in Australia.
The Purple Mattress Protector includes a moisture-wicking outer layer and an internal waterproof lining to prevent liquids from reaching your mattress. The fabric has an exceptional stretch that allows your body to lay naturally on the mattress. This flexible mattress protector is noiseless and wrinkle-proof.
Although made by the Purple mattress company, the protector fits most mattresses. Its tough polyester material is remarkably soft. Best of all, it is designed for easy care and cleaning.
The protector has a fitted sheet closure style. It’s available in the following sizes: Twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen and king.
10. The Little Green Sheep Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector: Best Mattress Protector for Cribs
Parenting a newborn is stressful enough without having to worry about cleaning your baby’s crib mattress constantly. That’s why we consider the Little Green Sheep Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector as the best crib mattress protector for Australians. It’s 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic to prevent allergens.
This ultra-soft mattress protector is made from highly breathable and absorbent cotton. It creates a cool and dry sleeping environment for your baby. Its waterproof barrier is certified as an Oeko-Tex Class 1 mattress protector, the highest standard for textile safety. It designates that the material is free of harmful chemicals that might hurt your child.
The mattress protector is made from organic cotton for an extra measure of safety. The Little Green Sheep Mattress Protector is the recipient of the Loved by Parents Best Nursery Bedding Award and the Gold Mother and Baby Award for Best Sleep Product.
The protector has elastic straps as a closure style and fits 90cm x 200 cm crib mattresses.
How to Select a Mattress Protector
When looking for a mattress protector, it’s essential to recognize who will be sleeping on the mattress and how much wear and tear it will experience. For example, a children’s mattress should have a waterproof mattress protector, and you should get a protector that prevents allergens if you have sensitive skin.
We’ve outlined some of the main factors to consider when shopping for a mattress protector below.
Types of Mattress Protector materials
- Cotton mattress protectors: Cotton mattress pads are naturally breathable and help regulate temperature while you sleep. Mattress pads with cotton filling are very soft and enhance the comfort of the mattress. Many cotton mattress protectors are available without chemical treatments and are safe for people with sensitive skin. Many are hypoallergenic. Cotton can shrink with washing and drying.
- Tencel mattress protectors: Tencel, also known as Lyocell, is made from wood pulp. It is a highly eco-friendly material that makes very soft material when blended with cotton. Tencel mattress protectors have built-in hypoallergenic properties and naturally wick moisture and prevent bacteria. It produces a soft and smooth material that is ideal for people with sensitive skin.
- Bamboo mattress protectors: Like Tencel, bamboo mattress protectors are naturally hypoallergenic and excellent at eliminating microbes and bacteria. They wick moisture and help keep you cool as you sleep.
- Synthetic mattress protectors: Polyester and other synthetic protectors often are the most budget-friendly mattress protectors. They aren’t as long-lasting or breathable as mattress protectors made with natural fibres. They also aren’t hypoallergenic or waterproof unless manufactured with special chemicals or a lining. However, synthetic materials are easy to clean.
Types of Mattress Protectors
- Fitted (or skirted): This is the most common design for mattress protectors. This style features a “skirt” that you wrap under the bottom corners of the mattress. It works just like a fitted sheet, completely covering the top and sides of the mattress.
- Encased (or zippered): Encased mattress protectors cover the entire mattress, including its bottom. After you wrap the mattress in the protector, you zip it to seal the mattress completely. These are ideal for protecting against allergens, dust mites, and bed bugs. They are more difficult to remove and put on than fitted mattress protectors.
- Elastic straps: Some mattress protectors cover only the surface of a mattress. You put them on by attaching elastic straps to the sides of the mattress. These are not as secure or protective as fitted or encased mattress protectors.
Other Mattress Protector Features
- Quilted: Mattress protectors that are quilted typically give added comfort. The added layers of filling complement the cushioning of your mattress.
- Waterproof: Most people prefer waterproof mattress protectors, especially for children. A liquid that spills on a waterproof mattress protector typically beads on the surface and doesn’t soak through to the mattress. Vinyl or plastic waterproof protectors usually lack breathability and can make you hot while you sleep. They also tend to be noisy, crackling as you roll over them. A waterproof mattress protector with a thin, polyurethane membrane might be better. This style will keep you cool while stopping liquids and allergens from getting into the mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and anti-allergy: Hypoallergenic mattress protectors are designed to reduce the risk that you will have an allergic reaction to the mattress protector. Many natural fibre mattress protectors are naturally hypoallergenic. Similarly, an anti-allergy mattress protector is manufactured with treatments to prevent an allergic reaction.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should I Care for My Mattress Protector?
Most brands of mattress protectors can be machine washed and dried. It’s best to wash mattress protectors in cool or warm water, and tumble dry on low to prevent shrinkage. Most mattress protectors can’t withstand extreme heat.
Don’t dry clean your mattress protector unless the manufacturer recommends it. We recommend washing your mattress protector before you put it on your mattress. Use a mild detergent and no bleach. Bleach can damage the protective membrane inside many mattress protectors.
How Frequently Should I Wash My Mattress Protector?
Typically, it’s best to wash your mattress protector once a month. There are some exceptions:
- If you have allergies, wash your mattress protector every other week
- If the bed isn’t used nightly, wash it every few months to clear it of dust
- If you experience a spill or an accident that goes through your bedsheets, wash the mattress cover immediately to prevent bacteria and mildew growth
What Should I Do if My Mattress Protector Doesn’t Fit Perfectly?
Most mattress protectors have a skirt that hugs your mattress like a fitted sheet. When you first use your mattress cover, it might fit slightly baggy. Adjust it by slipping the skirt deeply under the mattress. If you ordered the correct size to fit your bed, it most likely will fit more snuggly after washing it.
How Do I Know if My Mattress Protector Prevents Bed Bugs?
Not all mattress protectors prevent bed bugs from infesting your mattress. Consider the following when looking for bed bug protection:
- Get a mattress protector that encloses the mattress completely
- Look on the mattress protector’s label to see if it is bed bug proof
- Check if a pest control company has certified the mattress protector as bed bug proof
What’s the Difference Between Hypoallergenic and Anti-Allergy Mattress Protector?
People often think the terms hypoallergenic and anti-allergy are interchangeable when shopping for a mattress protector. However, while similar, there are important differences between the terms.
- Hypoallergenic means that the mattress protector material is less likely to cause allergic reactions than other materials. However, it doesn’t always mean that the material is gentle for sensitive skin or allergy-proof.
- Anti-allergy means that the mattress protector’s manufacturer has treated the product with something to eliminate or reduce allergens. Most commonly, anti-allergy treatments target dust mites and fungal spores.